Season Feast - Day 1
Beetroot Shawarma in Warm Tortillas
Beetroot is one of our autumn favorites. In this case we have prepared it with love by taking the time to marinate and bake it. This creates a lovely chewy texture, while the beetroot develops depth in its taste. It contains bitter notes, which we balance with sharper tastes in the meal. The salted lemons in the dressing, the pickled red onions, and the fresh cucumber are just right as companions for a beet full of character.
There is a rich culinary history hidden in the beetroot, both a favorite among the ancient Greeks and Romans. The latter bunch turned it into juice, as we do today, while it has been somewhat forgotten that the top of the beetroot is worth eating in itself. Use it in salads or give it a quick fry on the pan.
Oven-roasted beetroots, onions and mushrooms in a sauce with Middle Eastern inspiration.
Tortillas* (WHEAT flour*, water, canola oil*, salt, sugar*, emulsifier: lecithin, acid: citric acid, leavening agent: sodium bicarbonate, stabilizer: xanthan gum), pointed cabbage*, chickpeas*, beetroot*, cucumber*, mushroom*, red onions*, plant-based alternative to yogurt * (water, SOYBEANS*, bifidus and acidophilus cultures), sunflower oil*, tomato puree* (tomatoes*, salt), syrup*, green olives*, lemon juice*, olive oil*, parsley*, lime juice*, water, sweet chili sauce* (water, sugar*, rice vinegar*, salt, garlic*, red chili*), salted lemons*, SESAME seeds, sea salt, chives*, cumin*, garlic power*, garlic*, crushed red pepper flakes*, paprika flakes*, white wine vinegar* (contains SULPHITES), ground black peppercorns*, sumac*, fajita spice mix* (contains CELERY and SOY), cinnamon*, apple cider vinegar*, shawarma spice mix*, onion powder*.
* = organic
Potential allergens: Beetroot shawarma: Celery, soy Chili paste: Sulphites Chive dressing: Soy Marinated chickpeas: Sesame seeds Flatbread: Gluten
Nutritionals pr. 100 g Energy: 589 kJ / 141 kcal Fat: 6.8 g Saturated fatty acids: 0.5 g Carbohydrates: 17 g Sugars: 3.0 g Fiber: 3.7 g Protein: 4.2 g Salt: 0.23 g
Before preparing your meal we recommend reading the instructions thoroughly and gathering the kitchen supplies you will need, as well as rinsing all vegetables and herbs. The rest is smooth sailing.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Spoon the beetroot shawarma into an ovenproof dish and heat for 8 minutes.
- Set a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add enough oil to coat. Add the chickpeas and pan-roast 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Cut the pointed cabbage into thin strips and chop the parsley. Coarsely chop the olives keeping in mind they might still have pits. Put all in the bowl with the chickpeas. Drizzle with the lemon dressing and toss to coat.
- Thinly slice the cucumber and arrange on a serving platter.
- Wipe out the pan and set over medium heat. Warm the tortilla wraps one at a time in the dry pan, 10 to 12 seconds. Wrap in a clean kitchen towel to keep warm until serving.
- Pour the chive dressing, the pickled red onions and the chili paste into separate bowls.
- Spoon some of the beetroot shawarma onto the warm tortillas followed by chickpea-pointed cabbage salad and cucumber slices. Top with chive dressing, pickles and chili paste if you like.