Family Feast - Day 3
Turmeric Rice and Bean Burritos
These burritos form a meal, where it is completely okay that the filling goes over its boundaries. In fact, this can be the whole point, especially with young eaters that prefer when not too many things are mixed at once. While you enjoy all the flavours - from sharp chili and lime to the creamy yoghurt - it is worth sending a thought to San Francisco’s Mission neighborhood. After all it was here, at the restaurant El Faro in the 1960’ies, that the burrito grew into a feast containing much more than beans and rice.
It is new that we steam our rice with turmeric. It gives them a beautiful golden color, and why not? We cannot get around that we eat with the eyes first.
Whole grain rice*, canned peeled tomatoes*, tortillas* (WHEAT flour*, water, canola oil*, salt, sugar*, emulsifier: lecithin, acid: citric acid, leavening agent: sodium bicarbonate, stabilizer: xanthan gum), cucumber*, romaine lettuce*, onions*, water, lime*, CELERIAC*, plant-based alternative to yogurt * (water, SOYBEANS*, bifidus and acidophilus cultures), kidney beans*, pinto beans*, carrots*, sunflower oil*, CELERY*, corn*, plant-based alternative to butter* (canola oil*, water, coconut oil*, shea oil*, ALMOND butter*, salt, carrot juice*, lemon juice*, natural aromas), cilantro*, green chili pepper*, turmeric*, lemon juice*, garlic*, sea salt, yeast flakes* (yeast*, WHEAT flour*, sea salt), fajita spice mix* (contains CELERY and SOY), vegetable bouillon* (salt, vegetable powder* (parsnip*, parsley root*, onion*, carrot*, mushroom*, leek*, tomato*, garlic*), natural aroma, sugar*, canola oil*), crushed chili flakes*, coriander seeds*, thyme*, instant coffee powder*, dark chocolate* (cacao beans*, sugar*, cacao butter*, cacao powder), cumin*, smoked paprika*, sweet paprika* cinnamon*.
* = organic
Potential allergens: Flatbread: Gluten Burrito filing: Celery, soy Yogurt dressing: Soy, gluten, almonds Tomato salsa: Celery, soy, gluten Celery
Nutritionals pr. 100 g Energy: 458 kJ / 109 kcal Fat: 4.0 g Saturated fatty acids: 0.4 g Carbohydrates: 16 g Sugars: 1.4 g Fiber: 3.3 g Protein: 3.3 g Salt: 0.19 g
Before preparing your meal we recommend reading the instructions thoroughly and gathering the kitchen supplies you will need, as well as rinsing all vegetables and herbs. The rest is smooth sailing.
- Bring a saucepan of slightly salted water to a boil. Add the turmeric rice to the boiling water. Once the water returns to a boil, drain the rice. Transfer to a bowl and keep warm until time to serve.
- Gently heat the burrito filling in another saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cut the head of romaine into thin strips and the cucumber into thin slices. Serve in separate bowls. Alternatively cut the cucumber into wedges or sticks.
- Cut the celery into a small dice, the green chili into thin rings, and coarsely chop the cilantro. Put them all in a bowl. Be careful with the green chili.
- Add tomato salsa to the bowl with the celery mix and stir to combine (this is your green salsa). Season with salt and squeeze over lime juice.
- Heat the tortillas in a dry hot saute pan for 10-12 seconds.
- Pour the white yogurt dressing into a small bowl.
- Spoon some of the burrito filling and the turmeric rice onto the flatbread followed by some romaine lettuce, cucumber and a spoonful of yogurt dressing. Add the green salsa for extra spice.