Family Feast - Day 3
Cauliflower-Grey Pea Biryani with Coconut Flakes
Inspiration from India’s culinary traditions weaves through this whole meal. From the crunchy bites of spinach and other vegetables in the chickpea battered pakoras, to the raita sauce, the pickled mango (our alternative to chutney) and our take on biryani. The dish also has some roots in Iran. We, of course, add a few Nordic elements with cauliflower and grey peas.
Rice-dish with whole grain rice, grey peas and peas in a pod in a spicy sauce with turmeric and cumin.
Whole grain rice*, grey peas*, peas*, cauliflower*, plant-based alternative to yogurt* (water, SOYBEANS*, bifidus and acidophilus cultures), mango*, sunflower oil*, carrot*, leak*, cucumber*, chickpea flour*, water, pumpkin seeds*, raisins*, coconut flakes*, baby spinach*, syrup*, vegetable bouillon* (salt, vegetable powder* (parsnip*, parsley root*, onion*, carrot*, mushroom*, leek*, tomato*, garlic*), natural aroma, sugar*, canola oil*), salt, parsley*, mint*, white wine vinegar* (contains SULPHITES), ginger*, lime juice*, sambhar spice mix* (contains MUSTARD seeds), cumin*, children’s curry spice mix*, cinnamon*, turmeric*, cane sugar*, garlic*, pepper*, SESAME seeds*, cilantro*, nigella seeds*.
* = organic
Potential allergens: Salted cucumber with cumin: Sesame seeds. Raita sauce: Soy, sulphites. Dark marinade: Mustard seeds. Chickpea batter: Mustard seeds. Pickled mango: Sulphites.
Nutritionals pr. 100 g Energy: 616 kJ / 147 kcal Fat: 6.6 g Saturated fatty acids: 1,3 g Carbohydrates: 16 g Sugars: 3.3 g Fiber: 4.0 g Protein: 4.7 g Salt: 0.34 g
Before preparing your meal we recommend reading the instructions thoroughly and gathering the kitchen supplies you will need, as well as rinsing all vegetables and herbs. The rest is smooth sailing.
- Thinly slice the leek and chop the leaves and tender stems of the parsley and cilantro. Chop the spinach. Put all in a bowl and toss with the sliced carrot. Add the light chickpea batter (3B) and mix well to coat all of the vegetables.
- Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add enough oil to coat. Form the chickpea batter into round, slightly flattened pakoras (5 for 2-3 people and 10 for 4-5 people). Pan-fry until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Shell the peas and chop the mint leaves.
- Heat another frying pan over medium-high heat and add enough oil to coat. Pan-roast the pre baked cauliflower and mix of whole grain rice and grey peas until warmed through 6-8 minutes. Pour in the dark spice marinade (3C), followed by the peas and the mix of raisins, pumpkin seeds (3D) and coconut flakes (3E). Toss well. Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle the mint leaves over the top.
- Stir the diced cucumber into the white raita sauce (3F) in a small bowl. Put the pickled mango into a small bowl as well.
- Enjoy the pan-fried pakoras, cucumber raita and pickled mango next to the cauliflower-grey pea biryani.